Movies & Suggestions for a Long Romantic Valentine’s Day Weekend… at Home
The snow is burying the East, the rain is drowning the West, Valentine’s Day weekend is in a few days, and we are neck deep in a tough economy! That might sound like a bad mix of things to most people, but I see opportunity… the opportunity to have a wonderful, romantic weekend at home.
Picture a nice roaring fire in the fireplace, a hot cup of cocoa in your hands, and your favorite person sitting next to you watching back-to-back romantic movies. Be they romantic comedies or romantic tragedies, make sure they are romantic movies – that’s a must this weekend!
So I compiled a list of some of my favorite romantic movies, eclectic enough to suit your mood, preference or taste, which you can rent at your local video/dvd store, watch-on-demand, on your computer, or purchase the DVD online. (And, yes, I have watched every one of these movies and personally recommend them.)
My advice, boys, is to make a romantic meal together with your girl at home, make sure to get a card that expresses how you genuinely feel, light some candles, get some flowers, and rent some great romantic movies for the perfect Valentine’s Day weekend. It’s not about how much money you spend, but rather how much thought and sentiment you put behind the planning.
And, girls, if you don’t have a Valentine this year, get together with your special girlfriends, cook an awesome meal together, ice cream and chocolate might help, and rent some really great romantic movies – a mix of sad and funny, might work best.
So here it is, 45 of my favorite romantic movies. The list is broken up into three sections and, believe it or not, I did my best to narrow it down!
1. The Notebook (2004 – Ryan Gosling & Rachel McAdams)
2. The Lake House (2006 – Keanu Reeves & Sandra Bullock)
3. An Affair to Remember (1957 – Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr)
4. Return to Me (2000 – David Duchovny & Minnie Driver)
5. Serendipity (2001 – John Cusack & Kate Beckinsale)
6. Hope Floats (1998 – Harry Connick Jr. & Sandra Bullock)
7. Kate and Leopold (2001 – Hugh Jackman & Meg Ryan)
8. You’ve Got Mail (1998 – Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan)
9. A Walk in the Clouds (1995 – Keanu Reeves & Aitana Sánchez-Gijón)
10. Someone Like You (2001 – Hugh Jackman & Ashley Judd)
11. While You Were Sleeping (1995 – Bill Pullman & Sandra Bullock)
12. Sabrina (1995 – Harrison Ford & Julia Ormond)
13. Sabrina (1954 – Humphrey Bogart & Audrey Hepburn)
14. Sweet Home Alabama (2002 – Josh Lucas & Reese Witherspoon)
15. Must Love Dogs (2005 – John Cusack & Diane Lane)
16. When Harry Met Sally (1989 – Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan)
17. 50 First Dates (2004 – Adam Sandler & Drew Barrymore)
18. Something’s Gotta Give (2003 – Jack Nicholson & Diane Keaton)
19. Il Postino (1994 – Massimo Troisi & Maria Grazia Cuccinota – Language: Italian/Spanish)
20. So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993 – Mike Myers & Nancy Travis)
21. The Way We Were (1973 – Robert Redford & Barbra Streisand)
22. Out of Africa (1985 – Robert Redford & Meryl Streep)
23. The Bridges of Madison County (1995 – Clint Eastwood & Meryl Streep)
24. Reds (1981 – Warren Beatty & Diane Keaton)
25. Somewhere in Time (1980 – Christopher Reeves & Jane Seymour)
26. City of Angels (1998 – Nicolas Cage & Meg Ryan)
27. Love Story (1970 – Ryan O’Neal & Ali MacGraw)
28. Casablanca (1942 – Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid Bergman)
29. Doctor Zhivago (1965 – Omar Sharif & Julie Christie)
30. P.S. I Love You (2007 – Gerard Butler & Hilary Swank)
31. Sweet November (2001 – Keanu Reeves & Charlize Theron – better than 1968 version
32. Pride and Prejudice (1995 – Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle)
33. Regarding Henry (1991 – Harrison Ford & Annette Bening)
34. The Princess Bride (1987 – Cary Elwes & Robin Wright)
35. Gigi (1958 – Louis Jourdan & Leslie Caron)
36. My Fair Lady (1964 – Rex Harrison & Audrey Hepburn)
37. Funny Girl (1968 – Omar Sharif & Barbra Streisand)
38. Funny Lady (1975 – James Caan & Barbra Streisand)
39. Don Juan DeMarco (1994 – Marlon Brando & Faye Dunaway with Johnny Depp)
40. Benny and Joon (1993 – Johnny Depp & Mary Stuart Masterson)
41. Doc Hollywood (1991 – Michael J. Fox & Julie Warner)
42. Baby Boom (1987 – Sam Shepard & Diane Keaton)
43. Just Like Heaven (2005 – Mark Ruffalo & Reese Witherspoon)
44. Prelude to A Kiss (1992 – Alec Baldwin & Meg Ryan)
45. Splash (1984 – Tom Hanks & Daryl Hannah)
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. -Lao Tzu
For all you movie-lovers like me, I would love to hear about your favorite romantic movies, or suggestions for the list, or comments/feedbacks on the movies listed above.
And for all my family, friends and readers, I hope you can stay out of the rain or snow, stay safe and warm, and have a fun, romantic Valentine’s Day weekend!
Martie Hevia (c) 2010 – All Rights Reserved